Day 25 (23.08.11) I rode the train out to Windsor Castle today. The castle is a textbook castle. Exactly what you would expect one to look like. The Queen was not in residence when I visited. There were two things that stuck with me from the castle: the Queen's dolls house and a statue in the chapel. The dolls house (I don't know why it's plural) was the COOLEST thing I have ever seen. Well maybe that's an exaggeration but it was dang cool. Its a doll house, duh, the size of a smart car. Or at least nearly that size. Apparently the Queen Mary collected miniatures and so her cousin decided it would be a great gift for the country to give her a dollhouse with miniatures made by the actual manufacturers. The lady in the gift shop told me everything in the house is real except for the champagne because they couldn't get the bubbles in the bottle. All of the table service is actual silver, plates and serving dishes and utensils. There are at least three levels, maybe four, a nursery, queen's bedroom and sitting room, king's rooms, servants quarters and the most amazing kitchen. There is a garage full of cars. I noticed people taking pictures (with flash) as I was just finishing looking at the house. So I decided that I would go back and take pictures, because obviously it was allowed and I could do it without the flash. You should know that the house is surrounded by glass and kept in climate control. I had just gotten my settings and taken one picture of the garage when one of the castle guard ladies came up to me and asked me to delete it. She said "it won't come out anyway". To which I replied (in my head) "wanna bet?" So I closed my camera and continued on the tour. And I will be posting that one picture as soon as I relocate my camera in my stuff.
The statue that I loved was in the chapel which is part of Windsor Castle. It was made in honor of Princess Charlotte who died in childbirth. It shows her lying on her bed surrounded by mourning servants. But then she is also depicted ascending to heaven accompanied by two angels one of which is carrying her stillborn child. It is a very touching piece of art.
I arrived back in the city in time for dinner with Jeff, his friend, Anders and also Annie (who is probably the coolest person I met in London). We had chinese in China town. I devoured a whole plate of fried rice. It makes me hungry thinking about it.
P.S. I also think this picture is awful. This is what happens when I take the pictures at the end of the day in Jeff's flat.
The statue that I loved was in the chapel which is part of Windsor Castle. It was made in honor of Princess Charlotte who died in childbirth. It shows her lying on her bed surrounded by mourning servants. But then she is also depicted ascending to heaven accompanied by two angels one of which is carrying her stillborn child. It is a very touching piece of art.
I arrived back in the city in time for dinner with Jeff, his friend, Anders and also Annie (who is probably the coolest person I met in London). We had chinese in China town. I devoured a whole plate of fried rice. It makes me hungry thinking about it.
P.S. I also think this picture is awful. This is what happens when I take the pictures at the end of the day in Jeff's flat.

No comments:
Post a Comment