30 January 2008

Still Kickin'!

All right here it goes. I've been AWOL for a while due to finals and Christmas craziness. I apologize. I did pass my statistics class. I was seriously convinced that I would fail. But God hears and answers prayers, it's true. So thank you to all those who were praying on my behalf. :)

I had quite the busy Christmas. My second family's middle son was getting ready to leave on his mission. I spent the week before Christmas in St. George, helping Mom Lark decorate the tree and bake cookies for the farewell. Then I headed back to Cali to hop on a plane for Florida. A plane which stopped in Las Vegas and then continued to Chicago before finally taking me to Florida. Can we say direct route people? My sister and brother both came for Christmas with Dad. We had some relaxing days, hung out with the grandparents. Amanda, Tommy and I made a nice Christmas dinner together. Although Tommy ducked out at the end of the preparation to go sit by the pool which resulted in us not having rolls until the end of dinner. I headed back to Cali on the 28th of Dec, to wash and repack my clothes in order to fly the next day back to St. George, to arrive on time for James Lark's mission farewell. I spent the rest of the week hanging out at the Lark's and flew back a few days before school started again. Thank goodness for buddy passes.

James' talk in church was wonderful. It's amazing to see how much he's grown up. I guess 20 years old really is different from 12 years old. He really knows what he wants. He spoke a lot about how important it is to be an example of our faith. He's going to be a great missionary. Mom Lark throws a great party. We ate leftovers for the rest of the week. And I got to meet BYU's quarterback, Max Hall. Does that make me famous?

This quarter so far has been super uneventful. I've still got math, but it doesn't seem so scary. Perhaps that's because we haven't had any tests or homework. I'm taking a class on language acquisition which I find really interesting. If you've never thought about how kids learn to speak you should try it. It's mind-boggling. I admire the people who spend their time thinking about these things and come up with actual plausible answers. I hope to one day be one of those people. I've also started working on some research stuff with my adviser. Right now I'm scoring tests that have already been run. We're going to be putting in an IRB and requesting approval from a local kindergarten for me to start some testing here in the spring. I'm way excited about this, I've missed working with the kids.

In other news of things I've accomplished in the past 3 weeks, I had my brain scanned last week. This is what it looks like:
To quote Jeff, I guess we can't argue that it doesn't exist.

Another fine accomplishment, although most of the credit goes to Jeff (more than most really, about 99%), a new and improved version of the food pyramid:
Foods Deemed Appropriate (FDA) Food Pyramid
Foods are classified according to where they come from and how they are prepared; created by Jeff and Jenn.
The original was a little bit better, but I had some trouble converting it to a picture.

I hope you all enjoy this recent post (Rachael LongHair). I'm still alive and well and causing trouble.

3 comments:

Lindsay3 said...

Well Well Well...All I have to say is There's nothing like Florida Sunshine...hold the rolls please
Love you Jenn

Unknown said...

Hmm...I see a slight issue with your food pyramid. You have a box for "cow" and a box for "animal". You put hamburger in the "animal" category. I propose that it really should be in the "cow" category, unless, of course, you prepare it by frying it in oil...then it should definitely go in the fat category. Being a professional research-ist, I would expect that you take more care in categorizing your data. :P

Rachael said...

I am so glad you are alive and kicking. I was beginning to wonder if you had wandered too far out into that beutiful ocean or got stuck at Maggianos?????