Friday, June 14th
My goal for today was to do everything while continuing to take advantage of my hop on hop off bus ticket. I started at the Guinness Warehouse. The tour walks you through how Guinness is made and then at the top of the building, on the seventh floor, there's a 360 degree view of Dublin. They also give you a free pint of Guinness but I went for the diet coke instead.
From there I took to the bus to the writers museum. It wasn't all that great but I did see a first edition of Dracula.
I don't remember anything about this statue except for it was shot during the Irish revolution and it still has bullet holes.
Next I headed to Trinity College to see the Book of Kells. It's a handwritten and illustrated copy of the bible. It was done by monks in Ireland. It was pretty impressive, all the little drawings and elaborations. They also have an amazing old library at the college.
After this I went to the National Library. Also not that interesting but they did have an interactive version of Ulysses with descriptions about each of the parts of the novel. James Joyce wrote Ulysses and its set in Dublin. And also James Joyce is from Dublin. It's supposed to somehow parallel the Odyssey. I felt like I should read it because apparently is amazing and a really big deal. I got maybe 30% through and I couldn't take it anymore. You know when a little kid starts telling you a story and they're talking nonsense and you can't follow it at all? That's how I felt reading Ulysses.
I finished my day by getting dinner in a pub. I got lucky and there was live music while I was eating. My new favorite song is the ballad of Molly Malone. I also met some Australians who are basically ktaveling until their money runs out. So cool.






2 comments:
The library is stunning. I love libraries. Just imagining the smell of books...
And I'm now listening to Molly Malone.
Miss you!
Post a Comment