21 June 2013

Rijks

Friday, June 21st

We started our Friday with poffertjes which are little puff pancakes. They were very yummy especially because I dipped them each in chocolate sauce.

Today was very rainy, sideways rainy. By the time we had walked for five minutes our jackets were dripping and our legs were soaked. I guess summer in Amsterdam is rainy. We had purchased tickets for the Rijks Museum, which is the must see museum in Amsterdam, from the concierge at our hotel. We thought that meant we wouldn't have to stand in line. Unfortunately that was not true. We ended up having to stand in line for an hour or more mostly in the rain. Thank goodness for my new rain jacket. Right as we were about to go under the building and get out of the rain, still in line, these two dudes tried to cut us. I was NOT having it. Jocelyn was on the phone trying to get something sorted out so I had to del with them on my own. Don't worry, I didn't fight with them or yell at them. I just made sure we were still in front of them in line. I couldn't believe no one else behind us said anything. I probably should have said something but I was too shocked that they thought it was fine to just cut into a line we'd all been standing in for an hour and a half. I mean, how do you talk sense into someone like that?

 

Anyway, we finally made it inside the museum and picked up audio guides. They were iPod touches. Coolest. Audio. Guides. Ever. They would show little videos and extra things on the screen about whatever you were looking at. Seriously awesome.

And now for photo journey through e Rijksmuseum.

 

 

 

 

 

 

After the museum we were pretty tired and cold, thanks to the rain. It wasn't really late at all though and we walked right past a movie theater on our way to our hotel. So we decided to see Man of Steel. Every movie theater should be like this one. It was clear it had previously been a stage theater. There were multiple tiers and cushy theater seats. Our tickets were for the second tier which meant we were even with the screen. No tipping your head back at an awkward angle. Also the tickets came with a drink and a snack. I got diet coke and a bag of potato chips. And we're not talking about a lunch size bag and tiny soda, it was a big bag of chips and normal bottle of soda. I might be spoiled for regular theaters for the rest of my life. Except it was kind of pricey so probably I'll be fine going back to the dollar theater when I get home. :)

 

No comments: