Tuesday, June 4th
I arrived at the airport just before 8am , thanks to Ashley who woke up early enough to take me and still make it to her work on time. And it's a good thing I was there that early for my 10am flight. I had received two emails saying my flight was delayed which I knew was going to make it very difficult to make my first connection in Washington, D.C. So I was a little worried but not too worried. Then when I went to print my boarding pass the machine said my itinerary did not match my flight plan. The desk agents informed me that my second flight, from D.C. To London, had been switched because of the delay in the first flight which would cause me to miss the final leg to Berlin. Long story short, they decide they can get me on an earlier flight to D.C. as long as I'm not checking a bag and info to security right now. I tell them that's fine with me and I decide I should fish out my bag of liquids for security while they print my boarding passes.
And this is when I realize that I have no bag of liquids.
I somehow managed to leave behind all of my carefully chosen small bottles of bathroom essentials. But I did remember the oyster crackers (what?). No shampoo. No toothpaste. No contact solution. I decided if that was the universe's payment for not missing a flight later then I was fine with having to purchase liquids in Berlin. Although, I have to say I'm really missing my dry shampoo.
Fast forward to my return from the bathroom on the flight to Washington, D.C. I was watching the movie before I went it the bathroom and made the mistake of sitting down on the headphone jack. It broke. I stole the airplane headphones so I would be able to watch movies on my next flight. :) and now I have a reason to buy fancy new headphones. Yes?
I sort of think that my life is one of those old comedies, full of pratfalls. And sometimes it's funny to just sit back and shake my head. I can handle it when it's just that I left a bag of shampoo in my car.
Most of the remainder of the trip was uneventful. I arrived in Berlin (Wednesday, June 5th) and I followed Jocelyn's instructions to get to her apartment. And I didn't get lost!!!! This is seriously my biggest fear about this trip. I think that it's very possible I'll get lost and get sucked into a black hole. So far, so good though. Once I got to Jocelyn's I crashed. I did get up and go across the street to get toothpaste and contact solution.
When Jocelyn got home we went out to dinner on the river Spree. There are a bunch of fun little cafes on the river. The neighborhood is in what was East Berlin so you can see lots of cool landmarks as you wander. Also there's a ton going on all the time. It's a way fun place to be.


No comments:
Post a Comment