Edinburgh is quite possibly the coolest city I've ever been in. Its a city but it doesn't feel that big. And all of the buildings are old with castle-like architecture but more modernized on the inside. The streets are all cobblestoned. It just is so cool. August is apparently the month that 8000 festivals descend on Edinburgh. Well its less than 8000 but still a lot. The big reason we went was for the Tattoo Festival. No, we did not get tattoos. I think I'll save that for a different post though.
Today the other big deal festival we experienced is called the Fringe Festival. At this point I would like to interrupt myself to say that I think I should hire Jeff to write my blog. I've hear him explain this festival a couple of times and he does it much better than I do. Back on track. the Fringe Festival is a giant theater festival. There are venues scattered all over the city where different companies, dance groups, comedians, musicians, etc put on performances. They just keep cycling the performers and audiences through the performance venues. And out on the street the people are handing out fliers and telling you about their shows and sometimes acting something out to entice you to attend their performance. Today we went to see a play called "To Have and To Hold". It was slightly funny at the beginning but just got boring by the end.
After the show Jeff and I met up with two of his friends, Annie and Danny, who were with us on the trip (most of the time everyone just went their own ways) and took a ghost tour of Edinburgh's underground city. It turns out way back when storage vaults were built in between the walls of the buildings to hold goods. They weren't very well made, they leaked a lot of water so eventually they stopped being used for storage. When they were empty people started living in them. It was creepy to think about people living in these dark, damp rooms. But fascinating to see that part of the architecture of the city and the history. I think I could go back to Edinburgh and just wander around for days.
Oh. This picture shows the castle outside of which the tattoo festival took place. Sorry its a little blurry. I didn't adjust the settings very well.

No comments:
Post a Comment